Friday, January 05, 2007

A HUGE Single!!

What do you do when you have a doe in labor and nothing happens? What kind of skills do you have in pulling a kid? Should you pull or leave her alone? Those are very serious questions to ponder. Your overall experience should be you guide. If you are at all uncomfortable...by all means call your vet. I cannot walk, talk or guide you through the procedure to pull a kid, so trust your instincts and leave it at that. There are just too many kid presentation sceanios for malpresentations and distocia to take a chance if you are not experienced in getting a kid out of a bad situation.

I had one of my long line Oak Haven Farm does go into labor the other night. She pushed a for about an hour with nothing but her water sac presenting. She had a great kidding history of twins in the past. No problems. But when I pulled on the gloves, I found a foot and the nose in the birth canal. I had no way of knowing that this was to be a single, five pound doe kid. I just helped a bit with a gentle downward pulling and eventually the head emerged and then it was a bit of a struggle to get the shoulders through and out. She pushed hard and WE were able to get the amazon kid out. Since I pasture breed I have no way of getting a definite breeding date, but from the size, I expect this single kid was a few days late in getting out. This is typical with some single births - large kids and the potential for problems. Twins and Trips tend to be smaller and on time. Although my all time favorite doe; Oak Haven Farm Beffy-Q (now 11 years old) had an easy time with a set of XL twins; both four and a half pounders! They slid out like butter.

Good luck and trust you instincts with your does at kidding time.


g

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home